Reviving The Wonder

What is it that makes you uncomfortable?  Is it snakes?  How about a crowded bus?  Public speaking?  Mine is playing music for people.  Yet, I've been playing guitar for the church for over a year now.  It's been a humbling experience and not one that I've always enjoyed.  For starters, it's near impossible to get into a posture of worship when you're focused on performing.  Maybe some people can, I can't.  There's the self-criticism that comes from nailing that wrong note and the wandering thoughts in between services of what you'll do differently the next service.  It's all a bit distracting. 

But, as I was in prayer this morning, the Lord showed me the benefit of being up there week in and week out.  I get to see people's faces.  That may sound a bit weird, but stick with me, it'll all come together.

You see, lately I've been interested in how our theology has varied through time and tradition, specifically as it relates to the presence of God.  In our denominations, we often fall into the presumption that "my view of God, is the only view of God."  We probably don't vocalize it that way, but when is the last time you cracked a book by a church father from the fifth century?  Perhaps we're guilty of believing that only contemporaries have anything to offer us.  That's why we stick with new releases and trending authors.

And that comes with a bit of peril, because as we go along with the masses, our capacity for the divine stagnates.  We start hearing the same things over and over.  We fashion God into this image of what we can perceive and understand.  I've been at the same church for over a decade now.  I also have the benefit of getting saved at that very same church, so my view of God has been birthed and matured by the same set of leaders and peers up until today.  So when I offer my portrayal of what theology has been communicated over that span, it is consistent with my experience.  That said, the theology that I have been imparted goes a little something like this;

God is love.  God is personal.  God is relational.  God is approachable.  

You'll notice this isn't a statement on theology proper or the perfections of God.  It's not meant to be.  These are just the main things that come through our preaching and our praising.  Personally, I've noticed that my theology becomes apparent in my prayer.  I've often heard it said that "prayer is just talking to God."  And that's kind of what it has felt like for me.  My prayers feel like a conversation I'm having with just another guy in the room; a bit of an abstract, one-sided, counseling session.  There's no real right or wrong there, it's just what has been portrayed to me over the years.  Jesus is my "forever friend," "the boss of my life," but my weariness in prayer has taught me that my perspective is lacking.  It's missing the divine.  It's missing the mystical.

Lately, I've been fascinated by the Hesychast of Eastern Orthodoxy.  They saw prayer as a means of experiencing the divine energy of God.  They postured their bodies for prayer as they believed the whole individual (mind, body, and soul) were engaged in the practice.  Most importantly, instead of God being just another guy in the room, He was revered as One who dwells in unapproachable light.  He was the all consuming fire whose essence was unfortunately incomprehensible by our limited faculties, but whose energy permeated all creation.  Therefore, prayer was the means by which men and women were filled, healed, and inspired by the very near and tangible divine energy.    

And that brings me back to people's faces on Sunday morning.  Because Sunday morning seems to be missing the divine.  It's missing the mystical.  It feels like I'm surrounded by a whole lot of people like me!  And if that's the case, I'm not convinced we are coming with the expectation that we will be communing with the divine.  We're far too rational.  We're far too focused on the operation of Sunday services, that we forget that "where two or three gather in My name, there I am with them."

It's more about being aware of this, rather than any particular criticism.  There's just so much that pulls us away from basking in the Lord's light.  Here are a few things;

    1.)  Friends - We obviously love the body of Christ and many of us cannot wait until Sunday morning to see our friends.  In fact, we've modelled the Sunday service around being relationally engaged.  We hear a message from the pastor and then we hangout with our friends in small group.  It's not a bad thing, but there's only so much time that the body of Christ is gathered.  People in Jesus' day missed the significance of His presence among them, and I fear sometimes we do the same thing.  

    2.)  Serving - Leadership won't like me saying this, but you can be too involved in serving.  Our pastors already know this though.  That's why they preach multiple services, so that those in the nursery can get to the next worship service.  Nevertheless, there are people who load themselves with responsibility because it makes them feel good.  I'm one of those people...  If I'm not careful, I will load a Sunday morning with holding doors, greeting friends, teaching life groups, preparing food, playing in the band, etc...  Perhaps you like to wear all the hats too!  Then you know how tiring that can be.  Remember what Jesus said, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  Is all our busy-ness restful?  Maybe we need to be less like Martha and more like Mary...

    3.) Singing Along - Here's where the faces come in, and before you think this sounds too judgmental, just know that this is where God has convicted me the most.  So what about those faces?  Well, most of them lack any sort of expression.  They're stoic eyes fixed on a screen; chin down, eyebrows lifted, hands in pockets.  I get it.  I don't listen to much of the music I play on a Sunday morning either.  That's fine.  Christian top 40 can be a bit... Wearisome.  But that's where God got me on this one.  He showed me that if it's not the song of your heart, than it's not a song worthy of His praise.  Think about that.  It changes how you approach worship.  It's fine to not know the song, but only for a time or two.  The congregation has the responsibility of showing up prepared to sing His praise!  We ought to have internalized these songs.  Perhaps we should all know what we will sing a week in advance, so that we have time to process its truth and let it stir our souls.  No where down the line, however, should we be content just "singing along."  If week after week we sing words without passion, then God has convicted me to sing nothing at all.  Rather, we should close our eyes, offer our hearts in contemplation and seek God's presence in the room.  Can you imagine the spectacle of believers in God's throne room, flanked by angels, His Son seated at His right hand, and then we show up...  Muttering words off a screen that we neither know nor feel?!  I'm sorry, but nothing will rob us more of the realization of God's presence than vaguely going through the motions. 

Take a look at those again.  None of them are bad things!  But if we don't make it a priority to seek God's presence while He is gathered in our midst, then I'm not sure why we even gather together on a Sunday morning in the first place.  At best, it's a waste of time...  At worst, it's a money grab.

We assemble on the first day of each week to collectively commune with the divine.  Yes, our friends will be there.  We love them.  We exalt Christ with one another.  Yes, our service will be required of us.  We couldn't do what we do every week if it wasn't for the help we have.  And yes, we will be faced with the decision to open our hearts in worship.  Will we offer them in vocal praise or in quiet devotion?  Will we show up on Sunday with our hearts prepared?  Will we be prepared with a song?  Will we be eager to partake in the divine energy of Christ's presence among His gathered faithful?

You know when you leave a church thinking, "I don't feel fed."  Well there you go, you now have everything you need to get fed.  Because we will never "feel fed" if all we do every week is busy ourselves with the trappings of running an organization.  

Let me end by saying that this has not been an indictment on our church, nor any of her programs or practices.  It is neither a call to leave your denomination or stray from "organized religion."  Rather, it's been a charge for personal discipline in devotion.  What we are collectively depends on who we are personally.  What our churches portray in terms of their theology depends on what comprises them.  If we are content to let God remain as just "someone in the room" who takes note of the the things we tell Him, then I guess we'll suffer from a shallow perspective,  but so much more awaits us.  Nothing has the potential to enrich our lives than reviving the wonder of our faith.  

Emphasize the incredible.  Prioritize the divine.      





Comments

Popular Posts